Dealing with mold and mildew

Mold and mildew are simple microscopic organisms called fungi; they live anywhere there is a damp environment. As much as people want to eliminate mold, it actually is a necessity, without it leaves and other organic material would not rot and soil enrichment would not happen. If mold would contain itself to this important job there would be no problem but unfortunately it attacks our homes as well.

If you think you see the early stage of mold, which is mildew, you need to get mold inspection in South Jersey area involved. If you think you spot it, it will be first noticed on ceiling tiles, cardboard, wallpaper, curtains, furniture, etc; anything which is organic is a target. The colony can blossom in as little as 24 hours, so getting mold inspection done as quickly as possible is in your best interest.

Mold reproduces by spores which travel through the air. Mold will move throughout the house quickly on the air currents. If the area where it lands is the least bit damp, a new colony will begin. Mold thrives on organic material and if the problem is not corrected, it will destroy anything it comes in contact with; this process goes on and on. The mold will not only destroy your home, it is very detrimental to health as well.

Water damage in your home can be caused by:

•  Flooding
•  Sewage back-up
•  Leaking roof or plumbing
•  Damp basement
•  Sink or bath overflows
•  High humidity from clothes dryers

Should any of these problems be prevalent in your home you can expect mold to begin growing within 24 to 48 hours, and it will keep growing until it is stopped. The source of moisture must be eliminated as well as the mold which has taken hold. When doing a mold inspection in South Jersey look for visible signs of mold, such as discolored walls or ceilings and use your sense of smell; mold has a musty earth odor and is easy to detect.

The first priority is to dry the house out, open it up as wide as possible to get fresh air flow. Open all the windows and doors. Set up fans and dehumidifiers, but only if the mold has not started to grow. If you run fans with active mold growth, you will just assist the spores in moving to other areas. Remove any furniture that is wet outdoors, this also holds true for bedding, rugs, etc. Wet carpets should be discarded as they cannot be saved once soaked through.

Be the first to like.

Share This